Trace requirements to models, test cases, and code
Requirements traceability connects models, tests, and code with requirement definitions to help manage change and reduce waste in the design lifecycle.
Traceability analysis is required for compliance with industry standards such as ISO 26262 and IEC 61508 in the automotive industry, DO 178C in commercial aviation, EN 50128 for railways, IEC 62304 in the medical industry, as well as general software development standards such as CMMI and SPICE.
Common tasks for developers working to achieve requirements traceability for Simulink® models include:
- Generating traceability reports that include design, test, and requirement information in a single document
- Highlighting objects in a model that are linked to requirements and providing links to external requirements
- Exporting model structure and link information into requirements management repositories
- Using an automation API for establishing links and integration in user workflows
The Simulink environment provides capabilities for efficient linking, analysis, and reporting of requirements traceability. For details, see Simulink and Simulink Verification and Validation™.
Examples and How To
- Integrating with PTC Integrity:
- Integrating with IBM Rational DOORS:
See also: formal verification, Simulink Verification and Validation, model-based testing, Simulink Design Verifier, requirements traceability videos